Saturday, May 4, 2013

Odds and Ends

I have been incredibly delinquent and haven't even really noticed. I suppose that means I've been keeping busy, but I'm not sure what I've been doing. Although in the last couple of days, I can say I've been enjoying the sunshine.

I have been reading, though. And listening to books. It seems like they have mostly been frivolous fantasy, nothing too serious. Definitely not anything that will rank among the classics. But among all that frivolity, there was one book that really stood out.

I read The Princess Curse, by Merrie Haskell. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail, because that would ruin it for you, but what I really enjoyed about this book was it's really unique plot twist. It starts out as the story of the 12 dancing princesses, and ends with a nice little Beauty and the Beast plot, tailored perfectly for a sequel (which I sincerely hope is in the works, because otherwise, I'll be a bit disappointed). I've read quite a few 12 dancing princesses stories, and Jessica Day George, for example, creates sequels that use the characters from her version to incorporate other fairy tales, but I think this one is unique in how it transitions from one to the other in the same story line, with the same characters. And, I feel a certain kinship with the author--we have a few things in common.

Currently, I am reading a book called The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief, by Francis Collins. I was reading it while waiting for the bus the other day, and a girl who was also waiting commented on how much she had enjoyed it. I admit that sometimes, the science takes a minute for me to figure out, but I too am enjoying it. I find myself wanting to have a discussion with the author about the things I believe and how they tie in with his science, but I'm content to carry it on in my head. I'm only about halfway through, but it is very enlightening, and it fits.

So that is what I've been up to in terms of literary pursuits lately. And now, as I close, I leave you with a delightful little quote from Carpe Jugulum, by Terry Pratchett:

"She sang in harmony. Not, of course, with her reflection in the glass, because that kind of heroine will sooner or later end up singing a duet with Mr. Bluebird and other forest creatures and then there's nothing for it but a flamethrower."

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment